Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Fairytale Town

I walked to work with an umbrella today. It was the first rain of the season. It is perfect lay-on-the-couch-with-a-good-book-and-giant-comforter weather, and I wish I could do just that. Instead, I'm sitting through work with very little to do because my company insists on underestimating my abilities. The teasing of spring is holding up my spirits though, because I remember what summer is like in Saint Joseph.

Every town has the "bad" parts of town, and St. Joe isn't an exception. But in the summer, the downtown area is transformed into something of a fairytale place. Every corner has a sailboat statue that doubles as a sandbox for kiddies. The stores move their goods outside so folks can shop in the sun, and the roads are all made of brick. Every weekend, artists bring their work to sell in hoards along the bluff overlooking the lake. On Saturdays, the local farmer's markets bring in fresh produce and the 1,000 fudge shops in town renew their delicious supply. It's never too hot to eat lunch outside because of the perfect breeze that comes off the water, and John and I get to sit by the beach and read and swim for hours.

Quaint. I suppose that's the word.

No comments: