Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day weekend.

To prove I wasn't exaggerating in my previous post, yesterday was "Ice Sculpting" day in Saint Joseph. Dozens of artists set up shop in the middle of downtown and were each given a giant ice block. By the end of the afternoon, every street corner in downtown Saint Joseph sported an ice sculpture depicting anything from a dragon to an otter. John and I got icecream and watched the madness from The Chocolate Cafe.

Valentine's Day was wonderful. We had a beautiful candle-lit dinner of Chinese takeout--complete with fortune cookies and a carton of blueberries. After the food intake, we went to see Friday the 13th, but the stupid show was sold out. Instead, we hit up The International (which was fabulous) and saw Friday the 13th (which was fabulous) the next day. We polished off the night with a bottle of wedding Champagne and a viewing of Duck Soup--our first Marx brothers experience. It left a good impression.

On a side note, my current reading material couldn't possibly be more varied. My [very slow] ongoing Ulysses project is still underway, with World War Z (zombie novel) and Howl (poetry collection of Allen Ginsberg) making significant appearances. The last two Twilight novels are calling my name, but I'm trying to save them for the week John goes to Colorado. I'll need something to keep me busy on the train ride home.

I also made the mistake of investigating the planetarium in Chicago. Now I can barely contain my excitement to go. John promised to take me in April. He's going to take me to the aquarium too. I'm feeling good about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Howl" is very good. I like "America" (because I can quote it in whenever I get pissed for having to pay for something--just when will I be able to buy things with my good looks?)

I would like to read Ulysses, and have checked it out a hundred times but never seem to actually read it. *sigh*

If you need a good book later, check out "Kafka on the Shore" by Murakami.

Peace

Paige said...

I will definitely look into it. I just finished my first Murakami--Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. I loooved it.

I'm working through Ulysses with another guide book, and I still can't figure out what is going on. But at least I'm trudging through it.