Thursday, April 16, 2009

None Shall Sleep

So things at work got a little slow today, and I decided to compare and contrast different versions of "Nessun Dorma." Clearly, my employment is a necessity here. I can't believe some of the people who have attempted this: Michael Bolton, seriously?

Luciano Pavarotti
Lani Misalucha
Paul Potts
Aretha Franklin
Andrea Bocelli
Michael Bolton
Deanna Durbin
Joaquin Aguilar
Sarah Brightman

What makes me particularly sad is trying to compare anyone to Pavarotti--he sings it so effortlessly. Bocelli isn't a bad second, but it still isn't the same because his voice is so soft. Aretha Franklin tried to make it hip, and it didn't work well. Paul Potts and Joaquin Aguilar were actually very good. I couldn't handle any of the female versions, however. And I hate Sarah Brightman.

The conclusion of this experiment: Pavarotti's performance in Paris 1998 is the best version of "Nessun Dorma" available.

English translation:
"None shall sleep. None shall sleep. Even you, O Princess, in your cold bedroom, watch the stars that tremble with love and with hope. But my secret is hidden within me; none will know my name. No, no! On your mouth I will say it when the light shines! And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine. No one will know his name... and we will have to, alas, die, die. Vanish, o night! Set, stars! Set, stars! At daybreak I shall win. I shall win! I shall win!"

No comments: